Are you overweight and tired of trying to lose weight? Tried many different diets, only to fail and gain it all back on?
This Ramadan, why not get committed to making yourself healthier? There is no better time to take control of your nafs and becoming closer to God with a healthier mind and body. This simple, but delicious meal plan with make sure you lose about 2 to 5kg with this diet, depending on how committed you are and when you start. It is balanced and full of nutrition to ensure you get most of the vitamins and minerals you need – even during Ramadan.
• Protein – 250g meat or chicken or fish (cook it the way you like!)
• 2 Bowls of Vegetable OR noodle soup
• 3 cups of Salad (tabouli/fatoush/garden/Caesar salad)
• Choose one of these carbs: ½ cup rice or 1 cup pasta OR 1 medium potato OR 1 slice bread or ½ Lebanese bread
• At least 500ml of Water throughout the meal
For desert, try to have fresh fruit. If you are offered other sweets, (e.g. cake or arab/Indian sweet), have some! But try to have a piece as big as your 2 fingers only. Its all about moderation!
If u r still hungry, have more water, salad or soup.
• Low fat yoghurt (choose any flavour you like, but check the back to make sure its not high in added sugar).
• 2 pieces of toast with low fat cheese OR egg OR jam/vegemite
• Water/ tea
• 1 piece of toast with low fat cheese OR egg OR jam/vegemite
• I cup of cereal with light milk
• Fresh fruit
• Uncle Toby’s crunchy muesli bar
And finally, get moving!
Go for a walk for 20 mins – or longer everyday. Park your car 10 mins away from the mosque and walk to prayer. 20 mins is really not that long. You can spread it throughout the day into 5 min blocks -as long you do it!
On this eating/exercise plan, you should easily lose ½ to 1kh per week iA. The meals can be very delicious depending on how you cook them. Spice it up with different types of soups and lots of flavours. Vary your options each day and why not make it a lot more fun by getting a family member or friend to do it with you?
For those who just cannot follow a meal plan or dislike the simplicity of the above, I would highly recommend that you read this article by muslim matters which is funny, interesting and an effective step by step guide to Ramadan weight loss.
All the best! 🙂 And Ramadan Mubarak!